Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Mahesh Bhatt: Terrible Writing, Foolish Thought

Check out this gem from the Pakistani newspaper, Dawn.

He had tasted death - I could see that. It's not what he said, but how he said what he said that demolished my preconceived notions about him. I was watching President Musharraf interacting with Indian editors at a breakfast meeting on television, while oscillating between dread and hope.

"We need to find solutions for our problems now," he said, or words to that effect. "We need to do so now because tomorrow, India and Pakistan will be there, but Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pervez Musharraf may not be... and these unresolved problems will resurface... we owe this to posterity."

His words touched me and broke through my self-imposed barricade of suspicion. The prism of the past through which my blinked vision was being filtered just dissolved. Suddenly this image that we all have of a blood-thirsty general out to destroy India evaporated.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive