"And yet on the other hand unless warinesse be us'd, as good almost kill a Man as kill a good Book; who kills a Man kills a reasonable creature, Gods Image, but hee who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe, kills the Image of God, as it were in the eye."— John Milton, Areopagitica, 1644
BBC reports on a horrible act of arson in Imphal where rioters have torched the central library, destroying 145,000 books in the process. The arsonists want the Mayek script to replace Bengali script in the state.
This is not the first time such brutality to culture has been seen in India. This speaks to our failed collective understanding of what culture is and how it's kept alive. When our Governments too get in the act of scarlet-lettering provocative books and expression, why is it surprising that cultural neanderthals among our people follow suit?
In the pell-mell of our mediocre lives, we're making tinder of our heritage and our values. When all our civillization crumbles into ash, we'll wonder why we didn't protest sooner the beastly manner of our present discourse and the ugly emptiness of our contemporary expression.
- ► 2011 (14)
- ► 2006 (194)
- Rumors About Bin Laden's Death
- Indian Golfer Bests Vijay Singh
- Finally, Some Good News From Bangladesh
- Theme Park OK, Fashion Show Not?
- Squabble Among White Hats
- Would Be Comic If It Weren't So Tragic
- The Global War On Offensive Odor!
- Good News in the War on Terror
- Nuclear Fusion on the Desktop?
- Shiv Sena Shoots Off Its Loony Mouth
- My Country, Always Wrong?
- Standing With Our Soldiers
- Christian Science Monitor: Exquisite Timing, NOT
- Christian Science Monitor: Lazy Writing, Bigoted T...
- Mahesh Bhatt: Terrible Writing, Foolish Thought
- Dictatorship of Relativism
- Put The UN Out Of Its Misery, Please
- HIV in India
- The Demise of Brokerage Parties?
- Murder on the Bangladesh Border
- Soul Train To Pakistan
- Musharraf, Stay Home
- Corruption in Canada
- What Is Asia?
- Lynching of Books
- Dhiren Bharot Indicted
- Stratfor on India-China Accords
- Nixing Security Council Expansion
- iPOD Has Finally Jumped The Shark
- Because Kashmir Is Not Khan El Khalili
- The Problem With Engaging Musharraf
- Ghost Wars Wins Pulitzer Prize
- How Indian Cricket Crowds Out All Else
- Chaos in Bangladesh
- Ivan Cardinal Dias
- Gyanendra, Almost Ready To Blink
- Wen in Delhi
- Strobe Talbott's "Engaging India"
- Friday Musings
- ▼ April (39)