We've never been shy expressing our contempt for the BJP through this blog. In fact, we are quite the fans of Dr. Manmohan Singh and even consider his Congress party a natural political home for secular-right Indians.
Given all this, we are acutely embarrassed by the recent developments in Jharkhand.
There is nothing we'd prefer more than to see the BJP out of power wherever possible, BUT only by fair means. Absent this, our secular polity shames itself -- and risks losing the moral upper-hand it has over it's saffron counterpart.
Our friends in the Congress might want to read up on Reinhold Messner. His motto -- "by fair means" -- meant he made it to the top of the Everest on human capacity alone -- not aided by artificial means such as supplemental oxygen.
Per Messner: Everest by fair means-that is the human dimension, and that is what interests me . . . In reaching for an oxygen cylinder, a climber degrades Everest. . . . A climber who doesn't rely on his own strength and skills, but on apparatus and drugs, deceives himself.
Dr. Singh, we are in urgent need to hear your denunciation of the tawdry tactics of some in your party. And please, please have your party resolve to never again rely on artificial means to scale political mountains. Please.
- ► 2011 (14)
- ► 2006 (194)
- Tariq Ramadan Calls For Hudood Freeze
- Why Cambodia Matters to Nepal
- Desi Dating
- All Disquiet on China's Western Front
- Goodbye, IITs
- American Think Tank Frets Over Fiber Optic Network...
- Severed Kites and Jewel Beetles
- Donkeys to Bangladesh
- Secular Shouldn't Have To Mean Stupid
- Narendra Modi
- Boycott the Musharraf Match
- Shame: Taslima Nasreen Revisited
- Mr. Wolfowitz Goes To World Bank
- Gandhi Would Have Been Gandhi ...
- Citibank & Bollywood
- Endgame with Pakistan
- Secretary Rice's "Indian Sphere" Agenda
- Friday Musings
- Cinema Ticket Prices
- Give Me Liberty AND Give Me Dollars
- Camille Paglia on Contemporary Culture
- Indian Beheaded in Saudi Arabia
- Keep Musharraf Out
- Politics By Fair Means Only, Please
- Indian Business Loves e-mail, Should It?
- High Definition "Lust in the Heart" Televisions
- Geo-Political Pivot Points
- Choking on Chulha
- The Arrack of Ostriches
- ▼ March (30)