There is news today of an Indian's head being publicly chopped off by the Saudi state. The victim of this barbarism (link has a disturbing picture of similar killing) was "convicted" -- by a medieval Saudi "court" (link courtesy: Saudi Institute) -- of murdering another Indian.
Per the Rediff article, Saudis killed another Indian last month, allegedly for drug smuggling. The Indian embassy believes that man was innocent.
Quite apart from our strong opposition to capital punishment anywhere (why we still have it in India baffles us), we are appalled by the disgusting manner in which these Indians were killed by the Saudi state. We do not accept any finding of guilt by the ridiculous Saudi courts, and strongly condemn the state-sanctioned murder of Indians (and others) in that country.
We can hardly wait for the blessed day when this vicious Saudi regime -- the amputator of modernity and limbs -- is replaced, by the Saudi people, with a democratic and civilized system of governance.
- ► 2011 (14)
- ► 2006 (194)
- Tariq Ramadan Calls For Hudood Freeze
- Why Cambodia Matters to Nepal
- Desi Dating
- All Disquiet on China's Western Front
- Goodbye, IITs
- American Think Tank Frets Over Fiber Optic Network...
- Severed Kites and Jewel Beetles
- Donkeys to Bangladesh
- Secular Shouldn't Have To Mean Stupid
- Narendra Modi
- Boycott the Musharraf Match
- Shame: Taslima Nasreen Revisited
- Mr. Wolfowitz Goes To World Bank
- Gandhi Would Have Been Gandhi ...
- Citibank & Bollywood
- Endgame with Pakistan
- Secretary Rice's "Indian Sphere" Agenda
- Friday Musings
- Cinema Ticket Prices
- Give Me Liberty AND Give Me Dollars
- Camille Paglia on Contemporary Culture
- Indian Beheaded in Saudi Arabia
- Keep Musharraf Out
- Politics By Fair Means Only, Please
- Indian Business Loves e-mail, Should It?
- High Definition "Lust in the Heart" Televisions
- Geo-Political Pivot Points
- Choking on Chulha
- The Arrack of Ostriches
- ▼ March (30)