Controversial Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen is now seeking Indian residency. She has been persecuted in her native country solely for her outspoken -- and very edgy -- views and now lives in virtual exile in Sweden.
We advocate India granting her residency. She could live in Kolkata and serve as the enfant terrible of India's cultural scene, where we desperately need some excitement -- Bollywood simply does not cut it for us!
More seriously, we are averse to anyone being threatened for the views they hold -- no matter how provocative -- and India's openness to Ms. Nasreen would trigger a broader debate on this matter in South Asia, all of which ex-India is highly illiberal.
- ► 2011 (14)
- ► 2006 (194)
- China vs. India
- Cheering the Prime Minister
- From Morality to Pragmatism: A Pendulum Swung Too ...
- Rooting for Little Terrorist
- The Great Indian Blog Mela
- Alleged LeT Member in Bush Assassination Plot
- Azadi Begins at Home
- Blogger Freedom in Iran
- Wresting the Azadi Argument in Kashmir
- Lamenting Contemporary Indian Culture
- Supporting Taslima Nasreen
- Two Readings
- India & SAARC: Tough Love or Dadagiri?
- Cancelling SAARC was the Right Move
- ▼ February (14)